Thursday, September 2, 2010

Old Raleigh

One of the consistent themes of Raleigh's past and present is it's growth rate year over year. I am completely enamored with this image of Raleigh in the 1870s. Such humble beginnings considering the time I spend in traffic on 540 every day. Check out the old fairgrounds at the top, and the 'Asylum' and 'Penitentiary' at the bottom. 



I recently read 'On The Occasion of My Last Afternoon', a novel by Raleigh's own Kaye Gibbons that outlines life in Raleigh around Blount Street during the Civil War. For anyone who walks around town and thinks 'I wonder what it used to be like...' you'll get a lot out of this quick read. You get a different view of the Governor's Mansion, St. Mary's, the Fairgrounds, and I'm still trying to place the 'flats' of Raleigh. 

More pictures to come, though the next ones may be a bit more updated...

No comments:

Post a Comment