Thursday, September 23, 2010

Backyard Neighbor

One of my favorite recent Raleigh finds is one I passed at least 100 times before I stopped to check it out. A passing glance brings you back in time to a bygone era- and those in the know or with a spark of curiosity and a sense of adventure have found a Raleigh gem- The Vintage Village on Durant Road in North Raleigh. Since a recent move further away from downtown, the Flea Market at the State Fairgrounds is a little far for a weekly trip to fill my trash/treasure hunting hobby (that's a whole separate post!) The Vintage Village is a perfect smaller scale replacement. Fewer people to jockey around means your better luck finding that milk glass bowl you were searching for! I personally won't rest until I find an elusive factory cart to refurb into a coffee table.

Vintage Village from Durant Road



Nestled right across from Cafe Capistrano, this tucked away market treats you with several different vendors- Suzanna's Antiques, The Two Old Birds, Sam's Country Porch, and The Shack By The Track. I assume the nice gentleman I spoke to at Sam's Country Porch was Sam. He provided a story for every piece I asked about, 40's era table fans, an old spice cabinet, an entryway table, and he really really wanted me to buy the black and decker stove I was curious about. He was a spitting image of my Grandpa and he grew up in Cary in the '40s when it was a tiny town of just a few thousand people. 
The Two Old Birds have the tiniest two story building
I've ever been in- full of treasures!




These church windows would be perfect for the right house.
So many antique shutters to choose from!



Sam's Country Porch has fresh fruit and veggies every day
from a local farm.

Suzanna's Antiques



So much history!

I want one!


perfect for container gardening

Fishing Rods- a few of these would be a great addition to a lake house corner

Check out the chippendale design of the lawn furniture!

Adorable gardenscape


I think a birdhouse collection is in my future


I hope you enjoyed coming with me to the Vintage Village! Check it out sometime- you will thank us :-)

1 comment:

  1. I Love IT! Thanks for sharing darling. I know where I will be one of these weekends....

    ReplyDelete